I started a new tradition this year, as change is good with grieving.
Normally, Thanksgiving dinner is at my parents' and Mom does all the cooking. Everyone comes to eat and relax. This year, I did the cooking and everyone came to my home. The food was a success and I got many compliments that my version of dishes were similar to my Grandma's. She taught me well! I think I called her 15 times before the turkey was even stuffed!
We also changed up our Black Friday tradition. Instead of trying to sleep for a few hours, we occupied ourselves with card games after dinner until around mid-night. Then we hit the road in search of not a whole lot. We didn't have a game plan or a huge wish list this year, so we were just going to say we did. Our first stop was Walmart where we scored the $25 Leapster with a few games and bedding sets....a quick trip to Walgreens for cheap WebKinz, Meijer just to browse and see the crowds, Big Lots for Zhu Zhu's and Pillow Pets then K-Mart for digital cameras and knitted socks. Yeah, we stood in line 45 minutes for knitted socks! We made it home by 8:00am and we were exhausted!
The weekend wasn't a complete waste, we did manage to find the energy to dig the holiday decorations out of our barn. We put our tree up and decorations around the house. I am excited about filling the floor with gifts and making new memories with my awesome family!
No comments:
Post a Comment